Missouri A+ Program

Bolivar High School is proud to be a Missouri A+ School, a designation which allows our students to earn two years of tuition to Missouri Community Colleges. Below you will find the requirements for the A+ Program. Beginning with the Class of 2015, students must score proficient or advanced on the Algebra I EOC test as an added condition of achieving the A+ Scholarship.

For specific questions about the BHS A+ Program, contact A+ Coordinator Teresa Lindsay at tlindsay@bolivarschools.org.

This program provides scholarship funds to eligible graduates of A+ designated high schools who attend a participating public community college or vocational/technical school, or certain private two-year vocational/technical schools. The information on this page is effective for the 2012-2013 academic year, unless otherwise noted.

Am I eligible?

To be eligible for assistance you must meet the following requirements:

High School Students

Initial Postsecondary Students

Renewal Students

  • Be a U.S. citizen, eligible non-citizen or lawfully present in the U.S.
  • Enter into a written agreement with your high school prior to graduation.
  • Attend a designated A+ high school for 3 consecutive years immediately prior to graduation.1
  • Graduate with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
  • Have at least a 95% attendance record overall for grades 9-12.
  • Perform at least 50 hours of unpaid tutoring or mentoring, of which up to 25% may include job shadowing.
  • Maintain a record of good citizenship and avoid the unlawful use of drugs and/or alcohol.
  • Beginning with the high school senior class of 2015, have achieved a score of proficient or advanced on the Algebra I end of course exam.3
  • Continue to meet the eligibility requirements for initial students.

  • Maintain a 2.5 grade point average on a 4.0 scale and otherwise maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by your school.

  • Make a good faith effort to secure all available federal financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)each academic year. If you are attending an institution that does not participate in Title IV programs you must complete the FAFSA4caster, which is a tool for estimating your level of need for federal financial aid. 
  1. If one of your parents is a member of the military on active duty or has retired from the military and relocated to Missouri within one year of their retirement, you are exempt from this requirement. However, you must attend an A+ designated high school and meet all of the other high school eligibility requirements in the school year immediately preceding graduation.
  2. If you have already received an associate degree or baccalaureate degree you are not eligible for the A+ scholarship program.
  3. Beginning in 2015, if you do not meet the Algebra I end of course requirement, you may regain eligibility by completing your first semester at a participating institution with a minimum of 12 hours and a 2.5 grade point average.

How much can I receive?

The scholarship will reimburse the unpaid balance of your tuition and general fees after all available, non-loan federal financial assistance, such as the federal Pell grant, has been applied to your account. This may result in a zero award if your Pell grant is sufficient to cover all tuition and general fee charges. 

The tuition amount eligible for reimbursement is capped at the published standard per credit hour tuition rate charged by Linn State Technical College. For the 2011-2012 academic year, the maximum rate is $149 per credit hour or $4 per clock-hour.

The amount reimbursed may be reduced if there are insufficient state appropriations. General fees are fees that are charged to all students and do not include fees specific to an individual program or group of students.

  • Reimbursement will be made for completed coursework, including remedial coursework, for which a standard grade was assigned and that is required by the institution for the completion of the degree or certificate. 
  • The amount of reimbursement paid for coursework for which a standard grade was not assigned (dropped coursework), including coursework in a withdrawn status, will be deducted from subsequent reimbursement requests.
  • Repeat coursework will not be reimbursed.
  • Coursework that is part of a higher-level certificate or degree taken after receipt of a certificate will be reimbursed if it is related to the original certificate.

How can I apply?

You do not have to complete a paper A+ Scholarship application for the MDHE. Check with your community college or vocational/technical school to see what materials they require in order to confirm your A+ eligibility. In most cases, your school will require at least an A+ seal/stamp on your high school transcript.

In addition, you must complete the FAFSA each year. If you are attending an institution that does not participate in Title IV programs you must complete the FAFSA4caster, which is a tool for estimating your level of need for federal financial aid. 

The MDHE receives electronic FAFSA records for Missouri residents directly from the federal government. Late filing may jeopardize your payment as well as eligibility for other state aid programs. 

For the summer semester, check with the institution you are attending to see which academic year contains the summer term. For example, if the 2012 summer semester is part of the upcoming academic year (called a “header”), you would need to file a 2012-2013 FAFSA in order to receive a summer award. If the 2012 summer semester is part of the prior academic year (called a “trailer”), you will need to file a 2011-2012 FAFSA before June 15, 2012.

How will I know if I am eligible?

The MDHE does not provide notice to students of eligibility. Contact your high school A+ Coordinator for high school eligibility criteria. Contact the financial aid office at the institution you attend for postsecondary institution eligibility criteria and status.

How will I receive my award?

Your community college or vocational/technical school will submit a reimbursement request to the MDHE by the end of each term (summer, fall and spring). The MDHE will then disburse the funds to the school and the school will apply the funds to your account.

How long can I receive an award?

Your eligibility expires when the earliest of the following occurs:

  • 48 months after completion of high school coursework (Students providing service to any branch of the U.S. armed forces can defer their eligibility beyond the 48 months if they return to full-time status within 12 months of the end of their military service)
  • Completion of 105% of the hours required for the program in which you are currently enrolled

105 % includes the following:

  • All hours, including developmental/remedial hours, taken at the student’s current institution
  • All known hours, including developmental/remedial hours, taken at any other A+ eligible institution
  • Hours taken at any non-eligible A+ institution, including out-of-state institutions, that the student’s current institution accepts in transfer

105 % excludes the following:

  • Hours earned for work completed before high school graduation, including (but not limited to): dual credit, dual enrollment, technical education articulation, Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate
  • Hours from a non-participating institution not accepted in transfer by a participating institution
  • Receipt of an associate’s degree

How do I renew my award?

You may renew your award annually. To renew you must complete the FAFSA, or FAFSA4caster if applicable, each year in order to make a good faith effort to secure a Pell grant or other federal aid and maintain a 2.5 grade point average.

How do I transfer my award?

If you choose to transfer to a different participating Missouri institution, either between academic years or semesters, you must contact the MDHE at (800) 473-6757, option 4. Failure to notify the MDHE of the transfer may reduce the total amount you receive under the scholarship.

Can the scholarship be deferred?

If you are unable to attend school due to active duty service to any branch of the armed forces of the United States, you may qualify for a deferment of your scholarship eligibility. To request a deferment, please contact the MDHE at (800) 473-6757, option 4.

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.